Come experience Acadian history dating back to 1653 in West Pubnico, the world's oldest Acadian community, which is still occupied by the descendants of its founder. The Musée des Acadiens des Pubnicos, located in West Pubnico (Highway 103, Exit 31 to Route 335, 5 km) in the Yarmouth and Acadian Shores region, features an interpretative room using bilingual interpretive media including Window on Time (3-D graphic/assembly), Welcome panel, Important dates, Wall labels, historic photos-reproduction photographs and a soundscape featuring the sounds of Pubnico.
Tour our traditional Acadian garden bordered by aromatic plants and shrubs. Typically the Acadians would grow many root crops. However, flowering plants and herbs were grown as well. The plants supplied food and spices, medicine, dye, insect repellent, air refreshers, pain killers, and cosmetics. Plants and vegetables in the museum's garden were selected to represent the typical plants and vegetables grown by Acadians in 1653.
The museum is situated in an 1800s Acadian homestead. The building has "good bones" and great vibes, but the pulse of the museum resonates through the Acadian people and their stories. There is an impressive selection of artifacts depicting life as it would have been for our Acadian ancestors. The kitchen features the original hearth where iron pots and a kettle can still be seen hanging. Utensils and a spinning wheel can also been seen in their original setting.
The museum has a substantial collection of Acadian and regional artifacts available for public viewing. One prominent exhibition features over 300 cameras, spanning a century's worth of photographic history. A very rare gas operated upright enlarger (c 1895) is one of the highlights of this exhibit. A portion of an original sluice or conduit is another feature of the museum's collection. This conduit formed part of an elaborate drainage system, called "aboiteau". It permitted the early Acadians to turn saltwater marshland into fertile agricultural soil by preventing tide waters from flooding the marshes while simultaneously permitting the drainage of rain water. The original Chandler and Price manual printing press of “Le Petit Courrier” is also on display in the museum. A page from the first issue of “Le Petit Courrier” can be reproduced by visitors on the fully restored press. In addition, the founder's desk, books and photographic collection provide visitors with further information on the history of "Le Petit Courrier".
The research centre "Les Archives Père Clarence d'Entremont", housed in the museum annex has an extensive collection of Acadian historical and genealogical documents. Also available are over 6,000 publications, with information dating to the 17th century, as well as microfilms, maps, photographs, etc. Researchers can also obtain facts from the available published edition of “Le Petit Courrier”. As the collection grows and more information is accessed, the Archives will provide a greater information base for the public. Our story is rooted in our families, most who have been here since the mid-1650s. Like our ancestors before us, we remain attached to our region, our children and our future.
Visit our website for details of our summer programs, demonstrations and events. Our bilingual tour guides are available to answer questions and to make your visit enjoyable. After your tour, visit our gift shop. Bus tours are welcome. Visa, MasterCard and Direct Debit are accepted.
Facilities / Services
Bilingual/Multilingual staff available
This property accepts Mastercard, Visa, Debit card.
Admission: Admission $3, F(12). Research fee $5.
Directions: Hwy 103, Exit 31 to Rte 335, 5 km.