Canadian Museum of Immigration at Pier 21
Hours Of Operation
9:30am–5pm daily May–Nov; call for O/S hours.
1055 Marginal Rd, Halifax Seaport, Halifax, Halifax Metro
Festivals & Events
Located at the Halifax Seaport, the Canadian Museum of Immigration at Pier 21 has doubled in size to make space for more exhibits that tell the broader story of over 400 years of immigration to Canada.
Step into the past and experience what it was like to immigrate through Pier 21 between 1928 and 1971. Discover the footsteps of one in five Canadians, at Canada’s last standing ocean immigration terminal.
· EXPLORE FIRST-PERSON STORIES from newcomers and the people who welcomed them, archival photos, and artifacts such as trunks, luggage and personal treasures.
· IMAGINE YOURSELF tossing at sea in the tight quarters of a replica ship’s cabin and dining room or settling Canada’s west aboard a colonist railcar.
· TAKE OUR CHALLENGE to see which of your items would be allowed or confiscated at customs.
· GET INTO CHARACTER by playing dress-up in historical costumes.
Experience firsthand how Canada is shaped by the world in experiential ways, from past to present day.
· LISTEN, SEE, SMELL AND TOUCH to experience how different waves of immigration have influenced everything around us from our global palate to our favourite pastimes.
· DIGITALLY BROWSE a compelling collection of authentic immigrant oral histories.
· SNAP YOUR PHOTO and insert yourself into our Canadian mosaic in the form of iconic cross-country landscapes.
· SHARE HOW YOU FEEL about Canadian identity in our growing digital belonging quilt.
· TEST YOUR KNOWLEDGE and see your results at the citizenship test table.
You can also:
· Discover your family history by searching immigration records before 1935.
· Travel across Canada by viewing "In Canada", an original film depicting stories of Canada’s cultural mosaic.
· Shop for uniquely Canadian treasures, at our one-of-a-kind gift shop.
Facilities / Services
Bilingual/Multilingual staff available
This property accepts American Express, Mastercard, Visa, Debit card.
Admission: Admission charged; free access to gift shop and research centre.