Franey Trail – Cape Breton Highlands National Park
Months of Operation
May 17 - October 28
Hours Of Operation
no maintenance in off-season.
230 Franey Road, Ingonish Centre, Cabot Trail
Trail Rating: Difficult
Lat: 46.660766 Long: -60.422683
Open from mid-May to mid-October. A park pass is required for hiking or use of other services in the park; park entry fee applies. Check in at the Parks Canada Visitor Centres in Chéticamp (16 Visitor Centre Rd., situated on the west side of the park) or in Ingonish (37637 Cabot Trail, on the east side of the park) to obtain passes, information on visitor safety and any other information you may need, including a trail location map.
For your comfort and safety:
- Do not approach, disturb or feed wild animals.
- Take along appropriate clothing - rapid weather changes often occur on the plateau or along the coast.
- Carry water with you, especially for longer trails, climbs or open barrens.
- Bring insect repellent as black flies and mosquitoes are common all summer.
- Mountain bikes are permitted only where indicated, for public safety and protection of the environment.
- Stay on boardwalks to protect fragile vegetation.
- Do not throw food or scraps along the trails or roads.
- Read "Keep it Wild, Keep it Safe" brochure, available at park visitor centres.
Trail length: 7.50 km / 2.50 hrs
Trail type: Wilderness trail
Trail surface: Natural
Activities: Birding & wildlife, Hiking
Directions: Trailhead located off the Cabot Trail north of the Clyburn River; follow the fire access road for about 1km to a small parking lot.