Lone Shieling Trail – Cape Breton Highlands National Park
Hours Of Operation
Park is open year-round but full visitor services are only available from mid-May until mid-October.
Cape Breton Highlands NP, Cabot Trail
Interactive loop suitable for most skill levels.
Trail Rating: Easy
Lat: 46.809804 Long: -60.733019
Park is open year-round but full visitor services are only available from mid-May until mid-October. A park pass is required all year for hiking or use of other services in the park. Check in at the Parks Canada Visitor Centres in Chéticamp (16 Visitor Centre Road, just off the Cabot Trail on the west side of the park) or in Ingonish (37637 Cabot Trail, on the east side of the park) to obtain passes, information on visitor safety and any other information you may need, including a trail location map.
For your comfort and safety:
- Do not approach, disturb or feed wild animals.
- Take along appropriate clothing - rapid weather changes often occur on the plateau or along the coast.
- Carry water with you, especially for longer trails, climbs or open barrens.
- Bring insect repellent as black flies and mosquitoes are common all summer.
- Mountain bikes are permitted only where indicated, for public safety and protection of the environment.
- Stay on boardwalks to protect fragile vegetation.
- Do not throw food or scraps along the trails or roads.
- Read "Keep it Wild, Keep it Safe" brochure, available at park visitor centres.
Directions: Trailhead located on the Cabot Trail at the base of North Mountain.