The Halifax Farmers’ Market was created by Royal Proclamation in June of 1750, a year after the founding of Halifax. The Governor and Council designated a site for the Market – the present day Bank of Montreal building. For 50 years this flesh, meat or cattle market, as it was known, sold produce as well as livestock delivered from Acadian farms in the Annapolis Valley and from local farm production.
In 1848 the City of Halifax was incorporated and the original City Charter conveyed the Country Market property to the city “for the public and common benefit and use of the City of Halifax according to the true interest and meaning of the original grant.”
The Market has operated in several locations across the city since its inception in 1750, but moved to the Halifax Seaport in 2010 where it is now known as the Halifax Seaport Farmers’ Market – the longest continuously running Market in North America and proudly hosting over 250 vendors!
Facilities / Services