Joggins Hidden Cliffs Experience
100 Main Street, Joggins, B0L 1A0, Bay of Fundy & Annapolis Valley
The Joggins Fossil Institute and NovaShores Sea Kayaking Adventures have joined forces to offer a unique Bay of Fundy experience for our visitors. A sea kayak tour of the “Hidden Cliffs” (the difficult to access part) of the UNESCO World Heritage cliffs in Joggins, Nova Scotia, commented by Dr. Melissa Grey, Joggins Fossil Institute’s Curator and head of research. The tour will start at the Joggins Fossil Centre with a beach tour of the “classic section” of the Joggins Formation, followed by a delicious meal of local specialties prepared by Chef Courtnay, the sea kayak tour led by NovaShores will follow. Your tour will end with a delicious homemade snack for the trip home and a surprise gift.
You will tour cliffs that are inaccessible on foot, even at low tide. Ride the biggest tides in the world towards your destination on the rising tide and back again as the tide ebbs. Seasoned interpreters from the Joggins Fossil Institute will accompany you to recount the fascinating tale of earth’s evolution written in the 300 million-year-old cliffs.
Connect with the energy of 160 billion gallons of seawater flowing into the Bay of Fundy. Feast on a meal of local specialties prepared by the Joggins Fossil Centre’s own Chef Courtnay. Learn about the fascinating discoveries made at Joggins on your private tour with Dr. Melissa Grey, Ph.D., one of the world’s foremost experts on the fossils found at Joggins. Enjoy an unspoiled view of sheer cliffs interspersed by sheltered beaches along the way. Listen to the sounds of nature that will surround you. Enjoy the ebb tide that will help whisk you back to scenic Lower Cove, where you will exit the beach.
- Sea kayaking at a world-class destination: 1.5-hr guided sea kayak tour on the Bay of Fundy - famous for the world's biggest tides – along cliffs recognized by the UNESCO World Heritage designation as being of outstanding universal value.
- Private tour of the Hidden Cliffs with the Curator: Dr. Melissa Grey, Ph.D. will accompany you during this sea kayak tour and offer her observations and comments.
- Access to the Gallery at Joggins and guided tour of the classic section of the cliffs: Your tour includes unlimited access to the gallery and a 1/2-hour guided tour of the world-famous classic section of the Joggins Fossil Cliffs.
- Chef-inspired, locally-sourced gourmet meal: Feast on a meal prepared in our kitchen with local ingredients, served in a room with a commanding view onto the Bay of Fundy.
- Seasoned interpreters, expert guides, and a master chef: The Joggins Fossil Institute interpreters, Nova Shores’ expert guides and a master chef will combine their talents to offer you an unforgettable experience.
- A location of outstanding universal value: the Joggins Fossil Cliffs have received the UNESCO World Heritage designation because they are the best record of the Carboniferous age in the world.
- Fully supported experience: All kayaking gear is of high quality and mostly made in Canada. We solely use double kayaks for safety reasons and provide neoprene booties and paddle jackets for your comfort.
Only one more 2019 date available!
- Tuesday, August 20 – 10:30 am to 5 pm
What people are saying:
- Rated Nova Scotia's # 1 kayak tour operator on TripAdvisor.
- Joggins Fossil Cliffs-TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2018
Good to know:
Price: $229 + tax per person.
The meeting spot is at the Joggins Fossil Centre in Joggins, Nova Scotia, where you pick up your gear. Please bring beach shoes for the walk on the beach.
You will spend up to 3 hours in total outdoors. Please dress in layers of quick-drying materials. The Joggins Fossil Centre offers complete amenities. Please advise us on dietary restrictions upon booking. Please provide your t-shirt size upon booking. Beginners are welcome! The tour requires a minimum of 4 people signed up. Should we not meet this minimum, you will be reimbursed in full. All other conditions apply.
Conditions: Minimum number of participants is 4.
Minimum age is 14.