Dining on the Ocean Floor
Burntcoat Head Park
611 Burntcoat Road, Burntcoat, B0N 2C0, Bay of Fundy & Annapolis Valley
The entire 2018 season is sold out and the wait lists are full. To be notified of the 2019 season dates and information, and for any updates to the 2018 season, please sign up for the Dining on the Ocean Floor newsletter here. If you were missed out on Dining on the Ocean Floor and are going to be in our area, we would love to see you at The Flying Apron this season in our restaurant, inn or cookery school!
Experience the ultimate culinary adventure at the site of the world’s highest tides. Savour the best Nova Scotia food, beer and wine in this exceptional experience. Begin by learning about the wild edibles of Nova Scotia, followed by a lunchtime seafood feast where you meet the Chef and enjoy beer and wine pairings. Enjoy a guided tour of the ocean floor, then take a seat at a dining table with a view for an intimate 3-course dinner on the ocean floor; all followed by an ocean floor campfire.
Your adventure takes place at Burntcoat Head Park on the Bay of Fundy, declared one of the Seven Natural Wonders of North America! Grab your rubber boots and your camera as you set off on your incredible experience. Learn all about Nova Scotia edibles with local foraging expert Jonathan Newell; you will see, touch and taste local wild edibles and learn about the edible plants in the park.
Next you will enjoy an afternoon seafood feast atop the red rock cliffs. Brimming with the freshest Nova Scotia sustainable seafood, your meal will be paired with local craft beer and cider from Meander River Farm & Brewery and award-winning Tidal Bay wine from Avondale Sky Winery.
After lunch, you’ll be led on a private tour of beautiful Burntcoat Head Park. Walk down the stone stairs to the ocean floor to see fossils, tidal pool creatures and the impact of the powerful tides on the coastline. During the tour, the tide will ebb to its lowest point and begin rising again. As the tour ends you will be guided to the ocean floor dining room and your seat with an amazing view.
Looking up at the high tide marks on the surrounding cliffs and island, you’ll be awed knowing that the area will be covered in 50 feet of water in less than 6 hours! Chef Velden and his team will indulge you in a three-course meal featuring the best local ingredients and paired with local wine and craft beer, including Surf and Turf Scotch ale; the award-winning beer created by Meander River just for Dining on the Ocean Floor.
After you finish your amazing meal, you’ll head over to a campfire on the tidal flats to enjoy tea, coffee and a beautiful view of the incoming tide.
2018 Experience Menu:
- Lunch Course – Shore Boil: a bowl brimming with fresh, sustainable Nova Scotia seafood cooked in white wine from Avondale Sky.
- 1st Course – Celebration Plate: Selection of fine Nova Scotia cheeses and charcuterie hand-made by Chef Velden, served with Flying Apron pickles and artisanal crackers.
- 2nd Course – High Tide, Low Tide: A beautiful cut of local, pasture-raised beef, butter-poached Nova Scotia lobster tail and succotash with organic vegetables, topped with foraged greens.
- 3rd Course – Sun and Moon Meet: Fresh local berries, lavender phyllo and Grand Marnier mascarpone cream.
- Craft beer and local wine pairings from Meander River and Avondale Sky are served with each course. Organic, fair-trade tea and coffee from JustUs! are served at the campfire.
2018 Dates and Approximate Times:
- Sat, Jun 23rd 1:15-7:00 (Back-up date: Sun, June 24th 2:15-8:00) SOLD OUT
- Sun, Jul 8th 12:15-6:00 (Back-up date: Mon, July 9th 1:15-7:00) SOLD OUT
- Sun, Jul 22nd 12:45-6:30 (Back-up date: Mon, July 23rd 1:45-7:30) SOLD OUT
- Wed, Aug 8th 1:45-7:30 (Back-up date: Thu, Aug 9th 2:45-8:15) SOLD OUT
- Wed, Aug 22nd 2:00-7:45 (Back-up date: Thu, Aug 23rd 2:45-8:15) SOLD OUT
- Tue, Sep 4th 11:15-5:00 (Back-up date: Wed, Sep 5th 12:45-6:30) SOLD OUT
The 2018 cost is $745/per couple + HST and Gratuity
21 days before the event.
Dining on the Ocean Floor is a rain or shine with the exception of severe weather. Guests must be available for both the event date and the back-up date (the next day).
For More Details:
Conditions: Tax and Gratuity extra. For detailed information on the experience, including weather and cancellation policies, please visit our website flyingaproncookery.com/dining-on-the-ocean-floor
Taste of Nova Scotia