With the holidays behind us and New Year’s resolutions still intact, let us help you kick off your ‘eating better’ resolution on the right foot... er... fork. Here in Nova Scotia, you’ll discover delicious events featuring local fare, inspiring dining opportunities where locally sourced foods are served up for you… and even the opportunity to cook with a chef!
Celebrating delicious food year-round
Winter may mean our lush gardens, fields, and orchards are taking the season off, but it certainly doesn’t mean there isn’t plenty of amazing local products to stock up on.
A visit to a Farmers’ Market or Farm Market is sure to delight. Picking up root vegetables, fresh breads, local cheeses, meats, preserves, and more will ensure you are supporting your better eating resolution along with supporting your local farmers and producers.
Looking for new recipes that support healthy eating and incorporates local fare? Don’t miss your chance to cook with a chef that knows where to shop and how to create amazing dishes using the best locally sourced ingredients.
In Pictou, on the Northumberland Shore, join The Kilted Chef, Alain Bosse, on a culinary journey. Cooking on the Farm with The Kilted Chef is a full-day, hands-on culinary experience where you will do everything from visiting local farms and producers to learning proper knife skills using locally handcrafted Grohmann Knives.
Your day finishes with a delicious meal, paired with local wines, that you prepare with Chef Alain in his home.
Dates for 2015 will be announced early in 2015 on thekiltedchef.com.
What do you get when you combine history and cuisine in Tusket on the Yarmouth & Acadian Shores region? An incredible foodie opportunity, that's what. Enjoy a hands-on culinary experience showcasing local dishes, including seafood and Acadian fare at The Hatfield House, one of the oldest homes in Tusket, dating back to 1793.
Dates for 2015 will be announced early in 2015 on thehatfieldhouse.ca.
‘Don’t Miss’ winter food events
Winter is a delicious time to be in Nova Scotia! From a week in January dedicated to our many chowders and maplicious weekend brunches running late January to mid-April at Acadian Maple to a February-long event where you can indulge in fine dining without breaking the bank, you are certain to find a perfect food or wine event that is sure to suit your tastes.
- Craft Beer and Local Food Celebration 2015, Halifax Metro: January 15, 2015
- Soup's On - Wolfville Farmers' Market: January 24, 2015
- Taste of Nova Scotia Chowder Week: January 24 – 30, 2015
- Maple Brunches at Acadian Maple Products: Saturdays & Sundays from January 24-25 to April 18-19, 2015
- Decadence: Chocolate, Wine & Cheese: January 29, 2015
- Sip ‘n Shuck – Nova Scotia Oyster, Mussel & Wine Tasting: January 30, 2015
- Ice Wine Festival 2015: January 31 – February 8, 2015
- Dine Around: February 1 – 28, 2015
- Imbibe: A Cocktail Event: February 12, 2015
- Valentine's Day at Le Caveau: February 13 & 14, 2015
- Valentine’s Chef Nights at Sugar Moon Farm: February 7 & 13, 2015
- Rare & Fine Wine Tasting: February 27, 2015
Looking for a mini vacation with a culinary component or craving for an incredible culinary experience this winter? There are plenty of culinary packages and experiences awaiting you in Nova Scotia, including:
- DesBarres Manor Inn, Eastern Shore: Family & Friends Winter Culinary Getaway
- The Halliburton, Halifax Metro: Epicurious Adventures and Winter Stories
- The Planters' Barracks Country Inn, Bay of Fundy & Annapolis Valley: 3 Night Winter Getaway and 2 Night Winter Getaway
- Le French Fix, Halifax Metro: Authentic French Pastry Classes
- Local Tasting Tours, Halifax Metro: Open Kitchen Food Tour Experience
- Brigantine Inn and Grand Banker Grill, South Shore: Lunenburg Dine & Stay Getaway
- White Point Beach Resort, South Shore: On the Rocks and Valentine's Weekend Getaway
- Ye Olde Argyler Lodge, South Shore: Lobster Lovers Getaway
- Uncork Nova Scotia by Go North Tours, Bay of Fundy & Annapolis Valley: Icewine Experience tour, Icewine and Truffles tour, and Winter Wines and Ales tour