Mateus Bistro's Seafood Chowder
Recipe provided by: Taste of Nova Scotia
|1.5 lb||fresh Nova Scotia mussels|
|1.5 lb||haddock, cut into chunks|
|1 large||white onion, diced|
|4||potatoes, cubed with skin on|
|2 cups||35% cream|
- Take 1 lb of the mussels, place in a pot with the water and bring to a boil.
- Once mussels are open, remove from the water and reserve your liquid.
- In a separate pot, saute the onion until translucent, then add carrots and potatoes and let sweat for one minute.
- Add the marjoram, mix, then add the reserved mussel liquid.
- Bring to a boil and let simmer until all vegetables are cooked.
- Meanwhile, shuck all the cooked mussels reserving the meat.
- Once the vegetables are cooked, add the shucked mussels, haddock, remaining fresh mussels and cream.
- Bring to a boil so that the fish is cooked and all mussels are open.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve with your favourite locally baked bread!