Honeycrisp Apple and Butternut Squash Soup
Recipe provided by: Taste of Nova Scotia
|1||large butternut squash|
|4 medium||Honeycrisp apples|
|1 cup||Nova Scotia white wine|
|4 cups||vegetable or chicken broth|
|1, 14oz can||coconut milk|
|salt & pepper to taste|
- Split the squash in two and remove the seeds, cut in six wedges then cut each wedge in half place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper drizzle 3/4 of the honey on each piece and bake for 35 minutes at 325F or until the skin is soft. Core the apples and cut in six segments, after 15 minutes of roasting add the apples to the baking sheet and drizzle with the remaining honey.
- Remove the squash from the skin and place in bowl along with the apples segments (keep the skin on the apples) drain all the liquid left on the parchment if any in to the bowl and let sit.
- In a pot melt the butter and sauté the onions once soft and caramelized add white wine to deglaze the pan stir then add the broth, the roasted squash, apples, cinnamon stick, salt and pepper bring to a boil then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove the cinnamon stick and puree either in a blender or with hand held emulsion mixer. Once pureed place back in the pot with the cinnamon stick add the can of coconut milk whisk and keep to a slow simmer till service.
- When ready to serve add a dollop of sour cream for garnish.