Curried Butternut Squash Bisque
Recipe provided by: Taste of Nova Scotia
|2 2-lb (450g)||butternut squash halved-length wise, seeded|
|2 tsp (10ml)||canola|
|2 tbsp (30ml)||coconut oil|
|1 cup (250ml)||chopped onion|
|1 cup (250ml)||chopped carrots|
|1/2 cup (125ml)||chopped, peeled honey crisp apples|
|1 tbsp (15ml)||Thai red curry paste|
|1 tbsp (15ml)||grated fresh ginger|
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C).
- Brush cut side of squash with canola oil; place squash, cut side down, on large rimmed baking sheet. Roast until tender, about 1 hour.
- Cool the squash slightly and then scoop squash out into a large bowl. Measure 3 cups squash (reserve any remaining squash for another use).
- Heat coconut oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrots, and apple; sauté 5 minutes. Add curry paste; stir 2 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, bay leaves, ginger, lemongrass paste and 3 cups squash. Bring to boil; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered 1 hour. Discard bay leaves.
- Working in batches, purée soup in a blender until smooth. Return to same pot. Stir in cream and honey. Season the soup with salt and pepper.
- When ready to serve rewarm the soup over medium-high heat. Divide soup among bowls. Drizzle with sour cream; and garnish with cilantro and julienned ginger.