Masstown Market Cranberry Orange Scones
Recipe provided by: Taste of Nova Scotia
|2 3/4 cups (690ml)||all-purpose flour|
|4 tsp (20ml)||baking powder|
|1/4 cup (60ml)||granulated sugar (plus extra for topping)|
|1/4 cup (60ml)||instant skim milk powder|
|1/4 tsp (1ml)||salt|
|1/2 cup (125ml)||shortening|
|1 cup (250ml)||cold water|
|1 tsp (5ml)||finely granulated orange zest|
|3/4 cup (190ml)||Nova Scotia cranberries*|
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine flour, baking powder, sugar, skim milk powder and salt in a bowl. Cut in shortening using a pastry blender.
- Add the water, orange zest and cranberries. Gently stir with a fork to mix wet and dry ingredients.
- On a sheet of wax paper, or lightly floured surface, carefully knead the dough several times until ingredients are uniformly mixed.
- Form dough into a ball, and place on the prepared pan. Flatten the ball into an 8-inch circle, about 1-inch (2.5 cm) think.
- Use a knife to score across each round, making 4 cross cuts, to form 8 scones. Sprinkle granulated sugar on top.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until light golden brown.