Wine-Braised Chicken Stew
Recipe provided by: Taste of Nova Scotia
- Heat oil in pan. Season chicken with salt & pepper and sear until brown. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add bacon to the same pan and render fat, add shallots, celeriac and carrots. Sauté until soft. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant.
- Add tomato paste, sauté. Add the herbs and wine; reduce by half of its volume.
- Add chicken stock and chicken legs and simmer for 1 ½ hours, or until tender.
- Sauté mushrooms and place on dinner plates or large bowls. Top mushrooms with braised chicken.
- Serve accompanied with mashed potatoes and braised greens.*
|3 tbsp (45 ml)||canola oil|
|6||whole chicken legs (drumstick & thigh)|
|pinch||salt & pepper|
|8||strips of bacon, chopped|
|6||shallots, peeled, halved|
|1||small celeriac, peeled, diced|
|4||carrots, peeled & diced|
|4||cloves of garlic, minced|
|1/4 cup (60 ml)||tomato paste|
|2 cups (500 ml)||Shitakes, steamed, halved|
|2 cups (500 ml)||King Oyster mushrooms, trimmed, quartered|
|8 cups (2 L)||chicken stock|
|3 cups (750 ml)||Nova Scotia red wine***|
Wilt 2 bunches of swiss chard in 1/4 cup (60ml) butter, 2 tsp (10 ml) white sugar and 2 tbsp (30 ml) Sherry vinegar.
*Bacon: Meadowbrook Meat Market or The Pork Shop.
**Pick up your farm-fresh seasonal produce from Noggins Corner Farm Market, Stirling Fruit Farms, Masstown Market or one of the many other Farmers’ Markets of Nova Scotia.
***Red Wine suggestions: Luckett Vineyards, L’Acadie Vineyards, Grand Pré Wines, Sainte-Famille Wines, Muwin Estate Wines or Devonian Coast Wineries
Recipe provided by: Chef Stephanie Ogilvie, Brooklyn Warehouse