Barrington, Nova Scotia
Welcome to Barrington - the Lobster Capital of Canada!
The town of Barrington is located on the southwestern tip of Nova Scotia, approximately 45 minutes east of Yarmouth, 2 hours from Digby and 2.5 hours from the city of Halifax. Discover this region through fantastic culinary experiences with the freshest seafood around, outdoor adventure, engaging museums, beautiful white sand beaches, and majestic lighthouses. For bird watchers, Barrington is known for being one of the best birding destinations in Eastern Canada.
The area surrounding Barrington is made up of many small coastal communities, including the most southern tip in Nova Scotia, Cape Sable Island. Plan a visit to Cape Sable Island’s The Hawk Beach where, at low tide, you can wander through an area of petrified tree stumps that are still rooted in the original soil.
Things to See & Do
- Darren Hudson’s Lumberjack AXEperience: Join Darren Hudson, a seven time World Champion log roller, to become a lumberjack for a day. Learn skills like axe throwing, log rolling, tree climbing and competitive sawing alongside the picturesque Barrington River.
- Learn to Row a Dory: Try your hand a rowing a traditional Nova Scotian dory at the Cape Sable Island Causeway every Tuesday night at 6PM from June until September. The Queen of Hearts Dory Club will teach you all about dory rowing and its history, whether you try it yourself or just go along for the ride!
- Shelburne County Lobster Festival: Each June, celebrate all things lobster during the Shelburne County Lobster Festival. Lobster dinners, lobster chowder, lobster burgers, and lobster Newburg take centre stage, while music, dancing, sport tournaments, boat races, lobstermen competitions, craft sales, and fun-runs round out the weekend’s activities.
- Cape Days: Home to the Cape Sable Lighthouse, the tallest lighthouse in the Maritimes, Cape Sable Island is an outdoor adventurer’s paradise!
- Woolen Mill Museum: Watch daily demonstrations of spinning, dyeing, and weaving of wool, and give it a try yourself! Check out the mural that includes the very first piece of Nova Scotia Tartan, which celebrated 60 years in 2013.
Places to Eat & Drink
- Capt. Kat's Lobster Shack: Situated in Barrington Passage near Shelburne, the Lobster Capital of Canada, Capt. Kat's Lobster Shack offers a unique atmosphere with décor which pays homage to the lobster industry. Along with a live lobster tank, patrons get a first-hand lobster experience. The menu incorporates a wide range of tasty choices which showcase local lobster.
- Dan's Ice Cream Shoppe: Named in Saltscapes Food & Travel Magazine's ‘Top 5 People's Choice Ice Cream Shops in Atlantic Canada’, Dan's Ice Cream Shoppe in Barrington Passage is the place to go for a tasty treat! Enjoy its 50’s style décor and great selection of ice cream flavors, delectable delights and fresh, handmade soups, salads and subs.
- West Head Take-Out: Friendly service with a smile and heaping plates full of delicious seafood is what you can expect here. A local Cape Sable Island hot spot, West Head Take Out has picnic tables for outside dining and bicycles for rent so you can ride to the wharf and watch the boats come and go as you enjoy your meal!
- Captain Wayne’s Café: Located in the small fishing village of Wood’s Harbour, Captain Wayne’s is a small restaurant serving up big meals! Seafood is their speciality and it shows. Try the Seafood Platter – you might not be able to finish it all!
Places to Stay
- Clyde River Cottages & Campground, Upper Clyde River: Located close to the beautiful Clyde River, Clyde River Cottages & Campground offers great cottages and camping accommodations along with an outdoor pool, playground and children’s activities.
- Chestnut Holler Guesthouse: Enjoy a private room in an 1891 vintage farmhouse in a beautiful and picturesque Nova Scotia fishing village, close to beaches, museums, wharves, lighthouses, and more.
- Thurston Creek Campground: Located along the picturesque Clyde River, Thurston Creek Campground offers direct access to Clyde River for canoeing, fishing, kayaking and tubing. It is also located close to an 18-hole golf course, convenience store, and licensed restaurant.
- Clyde Farm Campground: Located halfway between Barrington and Shelburne, Clyde River is an excellent spot for fishing, canoeing and swimming.
- Birds I View Cottage: Located in the coastal village of Daniels Head on Cape Sable Island’s South Side, A Bird’s I View is a charming, beautifully maintained open concept vacation home and is a short 5-minute walk to beautiful sand dunes of South Side Beach.
- Mama’s by the Sea B&B: A cozy B&B where you can rest in one of 2 rooms. Make sure to ask about the lobster and egg breakfast!