The trail begins at the far end of the Jakes Landing parking lot, and climbs steeply through scattered granite boulders. This is a good place to watch for pileated woodpeckers. Enveloped in trees, you will pass by the viewing tower exhibit and continue to Merrymakedge playground. From here the trail follows the lakeshore, flat and easy, to the canteen and the supervised beach at Merrymakedge. This is a multi-use trail so watch for bikers.
Trailhead: Trail departs from Jakes Landing parking lot
Significant Feature: Visit the viewing tower, stop at the Merrymakedge playgrounds or head to Merrymakedge beach for swimming and ice cream!
Length: 3 km (1.7 miles) one way
Hiking Time: 45 minutes
The trails at Kejimkujik (Maitland Bridge, NS) and at Kejimkujik Seaside (Port Joli, NS) showcase an incredible variety of habitats, scenery and places of cultural and historical significance. Visitor services at Kejimkujik are available from mid-May until mid-October. Please visit www.parkscanada.gc.ca/keji for maps and information on entry passes, visitor safety and visitor services.
For your comfort and safety:
- Ensure that dogs are kept leashed and do not approach, disturb or feed wild animals
- Take along appropriate clothing - rapid weather changes often occur, especially at Kejimkujik Seaside
- Carry water with you, especially for longer trails, climbs or open barrens
- Bring insect repellent as black flies and mosquitoes are common all summer
- Mountain bikes are permitted only where indicated, for public safety and protection of the environment
- Stay on boardwalks to protect fragile vegetation
Trail type: Day-use trail
Activities: Cycling, Hiking
Park located off Rte 8, between Annapolis Royal and Liverpool.