Aspy Trail – Cape Breton Highlands National Park
456 Beulach Ban Rd
Cape Breton Highlands NP
May 15 - October 15
DescriptionThis trail meanders along the Aspy fault, through an Acadian and mixed forest. As nature reclaims land once used for farming and logging, a regenerated forest begins to blend in with the old growth. The magnificent red oak and the hoots of the barred owl or great horned owl will appeal to the true nature enthusiast. Recent work on this trail has made several stream crossings easier, but waterproof hiking boots are recommended.
Trailhead: At the parking lot for Beulach Ban Falls
Significant Features: Acadian and mixed forest
Length: 9.6 km (6 mi) return
Hiking time: 3 - 4 hours
Elevation: 60 - 450 m (200 - 1,500 ft)
Short climbs. Rugged sections. Stream crossings.
GPS Co-ordinates for Trailhead (in decimal degrees):
Lat: 46.814041 Long: -60.626273
Open from mid-May until mid-October. A park pass is required for hiking or use of other services in the park. Check in at the Parks Canada Visitor Centres in Chéticamp (16 Visitor Centre Rd., situated on the west side of the park) or in Ingonish (37637 Cabot Trail, on the east side of the park) to obtain passes, information on visitor safety and any other information you may need, including a trail location map.
For your comfort and safety:
- Do not approach, disturb or feed wild animals.
- Take along appropriate clothing - rapid weather changes often occur on the plateau or along the coast.
- Carry water with you, especially for longer trails, climbs or open barrens.
- Bring insect repellent as black flies and mosquitoes are common all summer.
- Mountain bikes are permitted only where indicated, for public safety and protection of the environment.
- Stay on boardwalks to protect fragile vegetation.
- Do not throw food or scraps along the trails or roads.
- Read "Keep it Wild, Keep it Safe" brochure, available at park visitor centres.
Detailed InformationActivities: Birding & wildlife
Accommodations Attractions Campgrounds Artisan Studios Outdoors Operators Festivals and Events