William E. deGarthe Memorial Monument

Location

109 Peggy's Point Rd, Peggy’s Cove, South Shore

Contact

T: 902-823-2256

Description

William E. deGarthe carved this “lasting monument to Nova Scotian fishermen” on a 30-metre (100-feet) long granite outcropping situated behind his house in Peggy’s Cove along the South Shore. The sculpture depicts 32 fishermen, their wives and children, St. Elmo with wings spread, and the legendary Peggy of Peggy’s Cove.

William deGarthe was born in Finland and immigrated to Canada in 1926, and for many years he spent each spring and summer at Peggy’s Cove.

Bus tours are welcome. Parking is available.

More Details

Facilities / Services

Bus tours
Wheelchair accessible

Detailed Information

Admission: Donations accepted.