Old Burying Ground & Welsford-Parker Monument
1460 Barrington St
May 15 - October 15
DescriptionA National Historic Site, and a Registered Heritage Property. The first burial ground in Halifax, on land granted in 1749 for a “common burying ground” outside the stockade. The oldest existing stone (1752) marks the grave of Malachi Salter Jr, the 2-year-old son of a prominent Halifax merchant. The Welsford-Parker Monument was erected in 1860 in memory of two Nova Scotian heroes who fought in the Crimean War. The site is restored as an outdoor museum and park.
Facilities / ServicesWheelchair accessible
Detailed InformationAdmission: Admission free.
Directions: Opposite Government House.
Accommodations Attractions Campgrounds Artisan Studios Outdoors Operators Festivals and Events