We're making a list and we're checking it twice... and we're going to help those who are looking for locally made gifts from Nova Scotia this Christmas season!
After talking with our friends, families and colleagues, we've built upon last year's 22 Nova Scotia gift ideas to bring you plenty more wonderfully local and thoughtful gift ideas that are sure to delight everyone on your gift list.
Wear it with Pride: Nova Scotia Apparel
Homesick Nova Scotians living away and those that love to visit or even call Nova Scotia home now will all agree that sporting clothing that proudly shows their Nova Scotia pride makes for an awesome gift.
Some of the more widely known Nova Scotian clothing companies include East Coast Lifestyle, Lost Cod Clothing Co., New Scotland Clothing Co., Dartmouth Clothing Company, Canada's Ocean Playground, and My HOME Apparel. Check them out online or stop by the East Coast Lifestyle and Lost Cod Clothing stores in Halifax.
Handmade in Nova Scotia Winter-wear
Oh baby, it's cold outside... but we have a couple of great Nova Scotia businesses that will help keep you and your loved ones warm this winter.
Featuring creative and stylish hats, mittens, shawls, scarves, and more for all ages, Gabs & Eddy and Hugabug Kids (they carry a variety of items for women as well) are sure to pick up your spirits this winter with their funky designs and gorgeous colours.
Gifts for the Readers on your list
Some of the great books by Nova Scotian authors that came highly recommended for our gift list, include:
- 'Day Trips from Halifax' by Jon Tattrie
- 'Bluenose Twelve Days of Christmas' by Bruce Nunn
- 'Hand Drawn Halifax' by Emma Fitzgerald
- Historical photography book ‘Then & Now' by Len Wagg
- 'A for Adventure' by Jan LaPierre (book launch Nov 29, 2015)
- 'Lumberjack Colouring Book' from Nova Scotia's world champion logroller, Darren Hudson
Nova Scotia Cookbooks for the Family Chef
Homesick for Nova Scotia home cookin'? Check out some of the great Nova Scotia cookbooks that were deliciously recommended for our gift list:
- 'Nova Scotia Potluck Cookbook' by Shelagh Duffett
- 'The Chowder Trail Cookbook' by Elaine Elliot and Virginia Lee
- 'Mussels' by Alain Bossé and Linda Duncan
The perfect accompaniment to each of these cookbooks: knives from world famous Grohmann Knives, produced in Pictou, Nova Scotia.
Sweet Treats from Nova Scotia
From decadent maple syrups to artisan chocolates, nothing makes a gift from Nova Scotia any sweeter. Discover Nova Scotia maple syrup and an assortment of maple products at Sugar Moon Farm, Acadian Maple Products, and Hutchison Acres' PURE Infused Maple Syrup.
For the chocolate lovers, give the gift of chocolate from Sweet Spot Chocolate Spot, Jill's Chocolates, Appleton Chocolates, Rousseau Chocolatier, or Chapel Cove Chocolate. For decadent fudge, you can't go wrong with Cape Breton Fudge Co.
We Wish you a 'Berry' Christmas
Blueberries and cranberries and haskap berries - oh my! Some of our 'berry' favourite Nova Scotia berry products include:
- Van Dyk's Wild Blueberry Juice
- Haskapa berry products ranging from sweet and savoury condiments to a sparkling wine from Grand Pré Winery
- All things cranberry from Terra Beata Cranberry Farm
- Sweet and savoury jams and jellies using Nova Scotia berries are handcrafted by Tangled Garden and Galloping Cows Fine Foods.
Giftware: Artwork, Candles, Crystal, & Jewelry
- Remember Nova Scotia fondly with a watercolour painting from Sarah Duggan Creative Works.
- Remember Cape Breton with Memories of Cape Breton candles from Lake Ainslie Candle Company.
- Give the gift of hand-blown crystal from NovaScotian Crystal.
- Fundy Treasures uses agate found near the Bay of Fundy to create their Blomidon Bling jewelry... AND to create one-of-a-kind guitar picks for the guitar player on your list.
- Discover new artisans and their products when you visit the Cape Breton Centre for Craft & Design.
Giftware: Pebbles, Pewter, Pottery, Sea Glass & Quilts
- Beautifully framed beach glass and pebble art from East Coast Pebble Art - yes, please!
- With an assortment of items including jewelry and Christmas ornaments, a piece from Amos Pewter is sure to delight.
- Items from 'The Tree of Life' line by Black Crow Pottery makes for a thoughtful gift for those in your family tree. Available online.
- Select from Sea Glass Designs' delicately designed jewelry that come in various shades of the sea.
- The ultimate gift: a handmade quilt from Quilts by the Bay.
Pampering Products from Nova Scotia
- Transport yourself back to Nova Scotia through natural scents captured beautifully by Pearl & Daisy Natural Soap Company.
- Nova Scotia fishermen and fisherwomen are tough - and Nova Scotia Fisherman Extreme Skin Care is an amazing skincare line developed here in Nova Scotia using Nova Scotia kelp to soothe even the toughest skin.
- Everyone needs soaps and bath products that look good enough to eat... and Sugar Bubbles Bath Bakery has just what you need.
- Proven to soothe multiple skin conditions, Pure Choice Emu Plus, produced in Nova Scotia, is a welcomed relief to those who use it.
Don't 'wine' - get in the Christmas 'spirit'!
Time to celebrate - and what better way than with award-winning Nova Scotia wines, spirits and craft beers! From sparkling wines for ringing in the New Year to Nova Scotia's appellation wine, Tidal Bay, the gift of wine from Nova Scotia is a perfect Christmas pairing.
Looking to make an easily kept New Year's resolution? Make sure a visit to Nova Scotia's Good Cheer Trail is on your 2016 to-do list. Visit participating wineries, distilleries, and craft breweries throughout Nova Scotia and be sure to get your very own Nova Scotia Good Cheer Trail t-shirt from Lost Cod Clothing Co.
Shopping Made Easy - Nova Scotia Gift Boxes
- For a taste of Cape Breton Island, look no further than a gift box from Cape Breton Fudge Co.
- Haskapa gift packages include all things haskap berry including jams, liqueurs, chocolates, and more.
- Choose from gift baskets from The Uncommon Group that contain items such as locally made rum cake, chocolate, saltwater taffy and locally roasted coffees.
- Give the gift of local when you order a Taste of Nova Scotia gourmet gift basket.
2016 Nova Scotia Event Tickets and Registrations
- Sporting Events: Canadian Tire National Figure Skating Championships (January 18-24, 2016) and CIS University Cup National Hockey Championship (March 17-20, 2016), both taking place in Halifax. For the runner, registration for the 2016 Scotiabank Bluenose Marathon will open in mid-December.
- Foodie Events: Take in one or more of the amazing culinary events happening throughout the Savour Food & Wine Festival.
Nova Scotia Getaways and Experiences
Discover winter getaways and start planning for summer in Nova Scotia!
- Dining on the Ocean Floor: Take a guided tour then dine on a chef prepared locally inspired meal on the floor of the Bay of Fundy in Burntcoat Head Park while the tide is out.
- Cooking on the Farm with the Kilted Chef: Learn where your food comes from as you visit farms, fishers, and local producers before preparing an amazing meal with the Kilted Chef in his kitchen.