150 Fish Plant Road, The Hawk, Cape Sable Island, B0W 1P0, South Shore
Come explore the most southern tip in Nova Scotia! Cape Sable is home to the Cape Sable Lighthouse, the tallest lighthouse in the Maritimes. This island, located just off of Cape Sable Island is an outdoor adventurers paradise!
There are many great experiences to take in during Cape Days.
- Your first experience is the boat ride to The Cape. Visitors are greeted by volunteers and asked to sign in to receive their passport to the Island. Our friendly captains will load passengers in outboard motor crafts (PFD’s are available for passengers, we do suggest you bring one if you have one) and motor passengers to the island.
- Get up close and personal to Nova Scotia’s tallest lighthouse.
- Explore an island off the coast of Nova Scotia, inhabited by free roaming sheep, shore birds, migratory birds and more.
- Beach combing – explore and walk miles of white sand beaches.
- Interpretive signs – located at the lighthouse to give visitors a history of the lighthouse, its keepers and the island itself.
- Outdoor exploration and recreation/hiking (approximately a 1km hike to the Lighthouse from drop off point)
- Photography – spectacular views from all points on the island.
- Bird watching – Cape Sable Island is one of the best birding destinations in Eastern Canada, also an Important Bird Area.
- Picnicking – bring a lunch for the day or join us for lunch on the Island – BBQ and snacks available on site for purchase.
- Geocaching – there are a lot of geocaches on the island to find, a great way to spend the day exploring.
- Swimming – the water might be cold, but a lot of people like to go for a swim, or just relax the day away on the beach.
- Camping – make arrangements with the crew for a pick up time the following day (another donation is required)
Itinerary for "Cape Days"
- Boats start leaving at 9 am (cost is donation)
- Boats continue taking passenger to the Cape until everyone who wants to go is there.
- Life jackets will be provided for those who do not have their own, we do recommend that you bring your own, especially if you have children.
- Lunch consisting of BBQ hot dogs and cookies and cold drinks will be available on the Cape, located by the lighthouse ($1 per item)
- All visitors should be ready to leave the Cape no later than 3 pm
- When you leave the Cape, make sure you visit The Hawk Beach - miles of white sand beach, the drowned forest and great birding location.
*There are now pit toilets available on the Cape. Also new picnic tables and rest benches are available but not enough for everyone so if you would like, bring your own lawn chairs or picnic blanket.
Admission: Trips to the Cape are by donations only.