A unique experience along the rocky shore of the Bay of Fundy.
Have you ever watched a barnacle feeding frenzy? Well, you can along the rocky shores of Point Prim located at the edge of the UNESCO Southwest Nova Biosphere Reserve near Digby.
Walk along the ocean floor where the low tides of the Bay of Fundy expose several zones of seashore life, including periwinkles and barnacles. Retired science teacher Greg Turner will help you experience the wide diversity of life and the interconnections among the species found there. There is always something new to discover as you get up close and personal with the flora and the fauna during this hands-on adventure.
Check out our video here.
• Collect and observe plankton from the waters of the Bay. See what attracts the great whales to our area
• Explore tide pools with amazing diversity
• See predator-prey relationships, life and death battles live in action
• Observe barnacles in a feeding frenzy
• Zoom in on the zones with a field microscope
• Sample some succulent seaweeds
• Search for the elusive sea anemone and beautiful sea slugs
We will meet along the waterfront next to the Digby Town Tourist Bureau, 110 Montague Row. After a brief orientation, you will follow in your vehicle to our rocky shore adventure. The best trips take place when the tide is lowest, so it is important to book in advance.
How to prepare for the adventure:
• There will be some climbing over rocks to get to the best spots. Hiking poles are provided.
• Wear sturdy footwear
• A windbreaker or hooded sweatshirt is a good idea as it gets cool at the shore
• Sunscreen, water, camera and binoculars can round out your "rocky shore kit"
Rates for a 2-3 hour tour:
Adults: $33.00; Youth (under 16): $22.00; Children under 5: no charge. Family or group rates available.
Coupon code: P7869
Affiliations: Destination Southwest Nova Scotia
Valid: May 15, 2014–October 15, 2014
This tour depends on the tide times. Tours are available on most days. Please call or email to check times and to book a tour in advance. We appreciate 24 hours notice for cancellations.