Get ready for a celebration three centuries in the making. Join us in 2013 for Louisbourg300, a grand fête marking the 300th anniversary of the founding of Île Royale -- known today as Cape Breton Island -- and its capital, Louisbourg. There has never been a better time to experience history coming to life at North America’s largest historical reconstruction.
Celebrations take place throughout the summer.
- Learn to Camp 300 (June 22-23) - Three hundred campers will pitch their tents in the courtyard of the Kings Bastion, and spend the night under the star filled sky inside the 18th century fortress walls.
- LouisROCKS Concert Series (June-October) - Each month the Fortress of Louisbourg will be rocking with a variety of acclaimed artists playing one of Canada’s most unique and picturesque venues.
- Forge300 (July 5-7) - Discover the art and craft of the blacksmith. Learn the ancient techniques from entertaining demonstrations and then try your own hand with hammer and anvil.
- CultureFête (July 25-28) - The streets of Louisbourg will come alive for this vibrant multicultural fair. Re-enactors, artists, artisans, musicians and traditional dancers will transport you back to the 18th century to explore the sights, sounds, smells and tastes Cape Breton’s diverse heritage.
- SuperFête de Saint-Louis (Aug 24-25) - Traditionally celebrated in the 18th century, this holiday lives on at Louisbourg. To mark the 300th anniversary the party will be even bigger. You’ll find yourself surrounded by historical military demonstrations, parades, performers, music and dancing.
- Founders’ Feast (Sept 21) - Fortress life was challenging but the elite never skimped when it came to a fine feast. Come enjoy a full course 18th century gourmet dining experience, perfectly paired with select wines inspired by the Louisbourg Governor’s own cellar. After dinner step into the stunning King’s Chapel to take in a concert worthy of royalty.
Full List of Louisbourg 300 Events »
For more information visit www.pc.gc.ca/louisbourg300