Bluenose II Relaunched
On September 29, 2012, a day-long celebration took place in the UNESCO World Heritage Town of Lunenburg, Nova Scotia in honour of the relaunch of Bluenose II. To learn more about the relaunch, please visit the official website.
Bluenose II, Nova Scotia’s sailing ambassador, is a faithful replica of her famous mother, the original Bluenose schooner, launched in 1921 and raced undefeated in international competition for 17 years.
Like her mother before her, Bluenose II sails out of her home port and birth place Lunenburg. With her crew of young Nova Scotians living aboard her for six months of the year, the schooner visits Halifax and other ports throughout the province and the world.
History of the Bluenose
The history and legend of Bluenose and Bluenose II are carved into Canada’s maritime heritage.
The original Bluenose was built in Lunenburg’s legendary Smith and Rhuland Shipyard to compete for the International Fisherman’s Trophy. In October 1921, the Bluenose won her first race and for the next 17 years, she defeated all contenders. In 1928, the Bluenose defeated the Thebaud in the final race series and was named Queen of the North Atlantic fishing fleet. The Bluenose had become the pride of Nova Scotians and in 1937, the Canadian dime was changed to include an image of the mighty ship.
In 1942, despite the efforts of Bluenose Master, Captain Angus J. Walters and others to keep the ship in Nova Scotia, the vessel was sold to the West Indian Trading Company. Four years later the Bluenose struck a Haitian reef and sank.
In 1963, the Bluenose II was built from identical plans as the Bluenose. She was built in the same shipyard of Smith and Rhuland by some of the same men who had constructed her mother before her.
Bluenose II was sold to the government of Nova Scotia for $1 in 1971 by the Oland family of Halifax and has served as Nova Scotia’s sailing ambassador ever since.
The original Bluenose and her captain, Angus J Walters, were inducted into the Canadian Sports Hall of Fame in 1955.