Finnan Haddie & Chorizo Chowder
Recipe provided by: Michael Howell with Devour! The Food Film Fest
|Line caught smoked haddock, trimmed(use trimmings to make broth – see note), cut in chunks|
|3 tbsp||olive oil|
|550 g||chorizo sausage (about 4 links) casings removed|
|1||large carrot, diced|
|2||stalks celery, diced|
|1||large white onion, diced|
|3||cloves fresh garlic, minced|
|400 g||white potatoes, peeled, diced|
|1 cup||low fat milk|
|1/4 tsp||chili flakes|
|3 cans||whole evaporated milk, about 750 ml|
|500 ml||fish stock or water|
|2 or 3 dashes||Tabasco|
|salt and pepper|
- In a large soup pot, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the sausage casings and cook for ten minutes, stirring to break up pieces into small bits.
- When mostly cooked but not crispy, add carrots onion and celery and continue cooking ten minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients except fish and bring to a simmer, stirring bottom of pan to keep from sticking.
- When simmer has been reached, cook ten minutes or until potatoes are mostly cooked.
- Add fish and cook gently until fish flakes, about ten minutes. Adjust seasoning.
- Best enjoyed the next day when reheated so that flavors are infused.
NOTE: add smoked haddock trimmings to fish stock or water and add, if desired some carrot peelings onion and celery scraps and fresh thyme, simmer 1 hour then use this in the soup where required.