Eastern Shore Region
After playing in the chop, try playing in the sand – with miles of beaches and dunes, we’ve got you covered, sometimes literally. Re-awaken skills honed in childhood at the annual Clam Harbour Beach Sand Castle Competition although expect to see pirate ships, dinosaurs, and human-eating octopi among the sand forts.
- Surfing at Lawrencetown Beach Provincial Park.
- Beachcombing and birding at Martinique Beach Provincial Park, the longest sandy beach in Nova Scotia!
- Hike one of the finest coastal trail systems in North America at Taylor Head Provincial Park.
- Cycling the Musquodoboit Harbour Trailway
- Paddling the Musquodoboit River
- Enjoying a scenic boat tour with Murphy’s Camping on the Ocean
- Kayak our coast with Coastal Adventures
Shake the sand off your beach chair and unfold it at the Stan Rogers Folk Festival. Held in the small fishing village of Canso, this musical smorgasbord offers an eclectic menu of Celtic, country, folk, blues, rock, and bluegrass music.
Some of our history is notoriously fascinating. In the early 20th century, during Prohibition in the U.S., rum running was a valuable cog in the local economy. In the dark of night under a moonless sky, kegs of rum were rolled across the beach from their hiding spots to waiting ships destined for America.
Whatever floats your boat, as we say around here.
Don’t Miss Experiences
- Live life 1800’s style at Nova Scotia's largest living history museum, Sherbrooke Village.
- Step into the life of a fisherman at the Fisherman’s Life Museum.
- Dine at the cookhouse in a 1940’s restored village at Memory Lane Heritage Village.
- Explore the Guysborough Waterfront - dine, bike, kayak, golf at Osprey Shores Golf Resort, enjoy Full Steam Coffee at the Skipping Stone Café & Store, fresh baked goods at Day Gone By Bakery, and Rare Bird craft beer at the Rare Bird Pub in Guysborough.
- Experience seaside gourmet dining with breathtaking views at SeaWind Landing Country Inn in Charlos Cove.
- Taste some of the best smoked salmon around at J. Willy Krauch & Son's.
Drive along a shore of white sand beaches and windswept villages, then explore the rugged coast by sea kayak, with seals and porpoises as travelling companions.
Eastern Shore Communities